Thursday, March 01, 2007

Irked!

I'm home sick today, and so I thought I would use some of my down time trying to figure out where I went wrong with my knitting. I picked this particular sweater to try because it looks relatively fool-proof, and like I could finish it before the turn of the century. Of course, this only works if the instructions are correct! Not so much... This Suss Cousins person may be hot stuff in Hollywood, but if she spent a little less time name-dropping and a little more time measuring her patterns, this would all be much easier! Granted, I'm pretty new at this, but it stands to reason that if your gauge is correct (4 stitches to an inch, exactly!), then the measurements for the entire thing should be correct. Again, not so much. I just hope it comes out in the wash, as my mother says... Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Jeanine said...

Sometimes, when you're experienced and good at a large number of things, it's a surprise that, when you pick up something new, you can't do it perfectly. I know I'm not a dunce, but I sound like a nine-year-old redneck when I'm writing or speaking Italian. It's possible that the instructions aren't entirely flawed -- remember, you're a beginner at this!

Ruth said...

True, and normally, I would say that the problem is mine, rather than the instructions'. However you can tell something is amiss when, according to the instructions, 24 inches added to nine inches equals 30 inches. And there also might be a problem when a sleeve is to be 40 inches long. As I am not a gorilla, I think something may be wrong there...