Thursday, February 01, 2007

Happy Snow Day!


Now, normally, I'm not much of a snow person. I like sunshine and warm days. However, I can't deny that snow is pretty. And if it means I get to slack off for a couple hours while waiting for New Mexico's snow removal technique to take effect, that's even better. In case you're wondering, New Mexico's snow removal technique appears to be to wait for it to melt. No doubt that's the most economical approach, but it doesn't always work. This is especially the case on days like today, where it's overcast and not expected to get above freezing. If it were just the inch or so of snow, I'd go into the office and get some stuff done. But since there's about a quarter inch of ice under the snow, I think I'll wait and see whether they're going to call off the entire day. (The snow that fell yesterday melted a little and then froze again overnight, with more snow falling over it, and more snow is supposed to fall later today.)
I do have to go in at some point today, as I have a client getting transported from the jail to watch a video pertinent to his case. He's trying to decide whether to take a plea on quite serious charges that could result in his being sent to prison for 20 years or so. I've been trying to talk him into letting me try it, since there is a good defense, but his biggest fear is getting acquitted. How's that for strange? He's a sweet kid, too. Ah well. I should see whether we're still on a 2-hour delay.

2 comments:

Jana Swartwood said...

Ha ha ha ha! Wait for it to melt! Kind of like Tulsa's plan: wait for the ice and snow to be almost gone, then dump ten tons of sand on all the side streets, causing cars to slide around long after the snow is gone.

Anonymous said...

Your client is not so strange. I put a kid in detention Friday who asked what she had to do to get to the Texas Youth Commission; she is determined to be out of the house. Since there are no alternatives to home, she will probably succeed in her questionable goal...