Saturday, February 03, 2007

"Won't My Mommy Be So Proud of Me?"

Well, this may come as a shock to those of you who know me, but I'm planning to start knitting. I've never been anyone you could confuse with Martha Stewart. I tend to get impatient with picky crafty things. You know, the little mini-pom-poms that refuse to stay glued together, or needle-point where you have to count everything exactly and put the needle in precisely the right location, and what do you do with needle-point once you're finished with it, anyway? Knitting, though, seems like something I could handle. It's not so precise that you have to think about it that much, and you can do it while other things are going on without losing track of where you are. You see, my mother has always knitted, and she taught me how when I was very small. When my sister and I brought books everywhere with us, our mother brought her knitting. After supper, my sister, sometimes my father and I would be reading our books, my mother would be knitting. Granted, the last thing I recall knitting was a dress for my Barbie-doll. But it had a cable and everything (the little braid-looking things on sweaters). I'm pretty sure I remember how to do the basic stuff.

So, what brought this on, one might ask? Partly the realization that I need a hobby in the worst way. Something that's not just watching t.v. or playing video games. Partly, it's because my friend MD knits, and she's been talking about starting a group thing where a few of us go to a local coffee shop, help each other knit, and talk about anything non-work related. So, I'm on board. It sounds like a nice change of pace from going out to the same bar with the same people all the time, or secluding myself at home to watch the same movies over again.

So, I'm all excited about going to the yarn shop this afternoon with MD to get yarn, needles and a pattern book. (Preferably one that includes basic how-to instructions also, in case I can't remember as much as I think I do.) I'll keep you all posted on the progress, and maybe include a picture if I ever finish my project.

6 comments:

mozartmovement said...

You can be sure your mother will be proud of you! Perhaps it is true that she was just thinking of you while knitting, herself! I've started a baby blanket for D/E's little girl, due in May. I'm all excited because I feel un-depressed and just like the old days. Baby-mint-green with cables and lace...

Ruth said...

That sounds like just your cup of tea! I'm glad it makes you feel good. Just be prepared for me to ask you questions...

Anonymous said...

There are so many times I wish Grandmother had taught me something like that instead of cross stitch. Perhaps then, as my eyes weaken, it wouldn't be such a struggle.

Ruth said...

State of Texas, it really isn't too hard to learn. There are numerous books on the subject, and my friend MD learned completely out of books. And if I can remember how to do it after over 20 years of not even thinking about knitting, I'm sure you could pick it up!

Sircellan said...

I've been courting learning how to knit for a year or two (just right after I go do this first...) as it seems I'm the ONLY person in this country my age who does not knit. The church we attend has a group where the fathers take the kids five years old and under to the church for two hours on the first Saturday of every month. The mothers meet in the local coffee shop and knit/discuss knitting/etc. I figure it can't be any harder than playing the violin, right?

Ruth said...

It's definitely not as hard as playing the violin! First plus is that small (and sometimes large) errors are easy to hide and are also inaudible! Second plus is that one does not have to devote one's entire attention to it once you get the hang of it. I watch Animal Planet and sometimes movies while I knit. Thus (I would imagine) you can easily shift your attention to the latest, "Mommy, watch this!" with appropriate appreciation.