Thursday, June 05, 2008

Gotta Love Vacations!

So, I got back Monday from a whole week away. There were no judges, prosecutors, clients, or courtrooms! It was wonderful! The best part is that the coming back thing wasn't nearly as horrendous as I thought it would be. I'd originally had 5 trials set for this week, but all except one went away, and the last is probably going to. The State lost their complaining witness, and it will be impossible for them to proceed without her. They just haven't figured that out yet. One pled (which she said she would two weeks ago, but didn't then); one got dismissed, as it is the exact same case as is set for trial at the end of the month it just got filed twice, for some reason; and two got continued because the cops are out of town (of course why it took this long for them to figure that out, I don't know).

So I am currently at leisure (somewhat) to wait for the silly plumbers to get back here with their plumbing parts. Apparently the part they were trying to put into the swamp cooler needed additional parts to attach it to the thing, which they had not had the foresight to bring with them in the first place. I must say I'm on my way to losing patience with these guys. They were supposed to come yesterday at 3. However, I got a call at 5 that they were "running a little late," and could they come tomorrow at 8:30? A little late? I got a call this morning at 9, saying (surprise) that they were again running late, but were on their way. At 9:30, they finally showed up, putzed around for an hour, and then came to this discovery about the parts they did not have. They've now been gone over an hour! I'm in a fairly generous mood, as a result of my vacation, but come on, guys! I can't indefinitely with this waiting around for them to get themselves together! Wait a minute...oh good, they're back. Hopefully they have everything they need, this time.

Vacation clearly worked. I'm not even mad at them! I really think I should be. But I seem to be in some strange pollyanna mood, whereby nothing can upset me too much. Such a pleasant change from pre-vacation, when everything drove me crazy. I just hope this mood lasts a while! It's kind of fun.

3 comments:

mozartmovement said...

Your plumbers don't do double duty as cable guys, do they? Sounds so much like my Comcast experience... Can't wait to see Pollyanna!!

Ruth said...

To my knowledge, the plumbers do not moonlight as cable guys. Although that might explain why they are always exceptionally behind schedule. The good news is that they did a really good and efficient job, once they had their equipment together. They replaced the entire insides of the cooler for less than half what it would take to buy a new one. Of course it's kind of moot today, since it's only getting up to 60 degrees. It in fact worked so well that the heat came on while they were testing it.

mozartmovement said...

Again, it sounds like my cable guys! To give them credit, Comcast did a fine job once they got to it.
Enjoy the weather (whatever it is)!