Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Because I haven't posted in a while...

rather than because I have anything interesting to say, I am blogging now. Most of what I have to say is too case-specific to put on a blog, and the rest is too unflattering to people that I work with.

I did notice that my last post was my 100th post! Happy anniversary to my blog!

At work, I'm working on a motion about collateral estoppel. This one requires serious research, as I haven't thought about the concept since taking the bar exam in 2001. How many criminal lawyers even encounter this, do you suppose? But it does make a nice change from the traditional unlawful search and seizure motions. Maybe it'll get granted just for being so original? I doubt it, though.

I came home directly after court today because of a horrendous and inexplicable back-ache. It's the kind where it hurts to move as well as to stand, sit, or lie still. My co-worker brought me some OTC meds, but they have not made a dent. If it's this bad tomorrow, I will swallow my aversion to doctors and make them give me the real stuff.

Betsy's enjoying the spring time immensely. Walks are fun when there are flowers to sniff and other people and dogs and kids on bikes to investigate!! She and Adagio also collaborated to re-form the tunnel under the fence. It is now at least 18 inches deep, as the neighbors keep trying to stop this behavior by putting things like logs under the fence. The ingenious dogs solved the log problem by Betsy pulling the logs out of the hole and bringing them into the house through the doggie door. She seems to take great joy in dragging enormous things around with her. She took my kitchen rug out through the doggie door so that she could place it in the hole she dug for it. She did not bury it, per se, as she did not cover it with dirt. She just thought it needed to be in a hole. Don't ask me how she got it through the doggie door.

Well, I'm going to stop now, as my back is now protesting the sitting posture. I will try the recliner chair.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Collateral estoppel" has been one of my favorite legal terms since before I knew what it meant. It just rolls off the tongue, and sound so complex and arcane. Even better, it _is_ complex and arcane!

Ruth said...

True. And we lowly criminal lawyer types rarely have to deal with it, as the concept has been largely subsumed by the constitutional prohibition against double jeopardy.

Sircellan said...

Hope the back is better. Yay for Betsy passing her test!

Anonymous said...

Do you know what happens to a client if no public defender will take the case? Do you know How long does the Government get to find an attorney for a defendant with an ugly case before the case has to be thrown out?

Ruth said...

Yellowhouse: Under Gideon v. Wainwright, every criminal defendant has a right to an attorney if they are facing jail time. How and when an attorney is appointed varies widely by state, and even by districts within states. Different states also have different criteria by which they determine whether you are eligible for a free attorney. I'm afraid I cannot give you any more information than that, as I am not your attorney, and thus cannot give you legal advice.