Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Promotion!

Well, not exactly a promotion, as I don't get paid. But I've been somehow voted principle second violin at our little community college orchestra. Which, I think, is good for everyone involved. Mainly because it doesn't seem like any of my fellow second violins have the ability to watch the conductor and play the music at the same time. I also have a rudimentary understanding of what are helpful bowings and fingerings. The main problem previously, though, had been the section had no leader. The prior principle would not figure out bowings, and he would not pass them back if he did. So we always looked discombobulated, even if we were playing things right. I took it upon myself to arrange a meeting with all the string section-leaders to come up with bowings that actually make sense. And we actually sounded pretty good at our last rehearsal! We're playing 2 masses with the chorus, one by Puccini, and the other an American (whose name I always forget) who simply loves to change time-signatures every other bar. Also, there's a guy who wants to start a string quartet. Fun!

6 comments:

mozartmovement said...

You go, girl! I think about you lots as I play my cello, and am amazed at all that comes back to me...

Sircellan said...

Woohoo! Congratulations on the promotion. One of these days I'll find a non-pretentious orchestra grouping. They don't seem to exist in Cambridge! The other people I know who could possibly play in a quartet all have small children under four years old.

Jeanine said...

Congrats! Sometimes the non-paying promotions are the best kind. :)

BTW, my word verification today is "bmpah." Isn't that the sound of a tubist playing his 23rd Sousa march in a row?

Anonymous said...

Don't know about "bmpah" - you might ask David! I know he tries to forget his tuba days (just like his accordion days!) but should recall some...

I so wish I had not let go of my music; glad you are keeping it up!

Anonymous said...

My congratulations, too. Who findeth a good Principal Second findeth a good thing, for her worth is far above what she gets paid! Go forth and spread rational bowings and happy fingerings! And I do hope your quartet gets off the ground. Much fun to be had there!

My 'word' is jubqmrsh which I think means the Jabberwock is about to get me. I'm not sure, though.

Jana Swartwood said...

You word verification junkies might enjoy the blog of a friend of mine. It's zrharc.blogspot.com, and I link to it off my blog.