Thursday, August 16, 2007

Tandem-Socks and Sweater-Parts

I've been meaning to start my "tandem-socks" for quite some time. See, a while back, my knitting buddies (Y and MD) and I all decided we would knit a pair. (Tandem-socks in tandem, as it were...) According to the instructions, you knit both socks of a pair simultaneously on two circular needles, from the toe up. As I'd already done individual socks on two circulars, I figured two socks would be exactly the same. The only difference would be the toe-up factor. So the three of us dutifully bought our sock yarn and our two circular sock needles. And then we waited. Both MD and Y had other projects they wanted to finish, so I started my lace scarf while waiting for them, having yet to finish the sleeves of a green cable sweater. I vowed that I would in no way have more than two projects going at one time, as this would likely lead to an ever-increasing number of partially finished projects. So, a couple weeks ago, I finished the sleeves of my cable sweater, stitched the shoulder seams, and did the neck. It's now drying in preparation for seaming together and weaving in the ends.




When I finished my sleeves, I decided to look at the tandem socks again and dive in! Y was done with her project, and MD couldn't really get enthused about the Aran sweater she's started (it's still getting over 90 degrees pretty much every day here ) or about ripping out this really cool looking camisole. (It's always depressing to rip stuff out.) Her camisole problem was that while the yarn was gorgeous and the pattern was gorgeous, the two didn't really work together well. (She called it her chain-mail camisole because the yarn knit together quite tightly, while the pattern was light and airy.)




Anyway, while looking at the instructions for the tandem-socks, I became quite alarmed. I just couldn't picture how to start the things! For those of you who knit, you know that you usually have instructions like: Row 1: this stitch, that stitch, do this and that; Row two: do these other things, you now have X stitches; etc. Or you have a chart that grids out the various stitches or colors in a stitch-by-stitch, row-by-row fashion. Never have I seen directions like these! They were written in paragraphs! It began with this long explanation of the concept, then it would tell you what you were actually supposed to do. There were poorly illustrated pictures of needles with stitches on them, that I could not make heads or tails of. (And I'm fairly good at figuring stuff out.) Finally, I just guessed.


It's actually pretty cool how they work. Instead of doing a "provisional" cast on thing with short rows (as is usual when you start at the toe of the sock) you simply pick up stitches along the cast-on row by holding the knitting upside-down! Very unique! And at knitting night yesterday, I helped Y figure it out, so the two of us have begun... (MD couldn't make knitting night.) Now, I'm all excited about my tandem-socks. It's just so cool! And my wool is quite pretty. (As well as machine-washable!) While at the moment, they seem to look more like the ears of a kitten than anything else, I am confident that they shall form ...SOCKS!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, once I go to my seminar on "how to knit" at the Samoyed National and see if an antique brain and eyes can learn this - we will be able to sit, knit, spin stories - and avoid the (untrue) allegation that all we do is talk shop!

Ruth said...

Good plan! Besides, even if we talk shop while knitting, I don't think we will get teased about it so much...

A couple hints to help your learining go smoothly: Hint (1) Get yourself a book with illustrations that you can comprehend, preferably color illustrations. There's nothing worse than getting all set to start something and realizing you don't know how to do one of the required stitches. My favorite is "The Knitter's Handbook." It's small, and assumes you know nothing.

Hint (2) RELAX! Otherwise your stitches will be too tight and you will have a very hard time manipulating them.

Ruth said...

I forgot: Hint (3) Start by making something square or rectangular, where the instructions only call for "knit" and "purl" but get yarn you like a lot!

Jeanine said...

I allege that, once you are both sitting, knitting, and spinning stories, the stories that you spin will have a decidedly shop-tinged flavor! Anyone else want to take that bet? :)

The onlookers, if I'm characteristic, really don't mind that much, though -- we just like ribbing you about it.

My word verification today is "gejrbzhk." If I'm not mistaken, this is the sound one makes when carrying cleaning supplies half a block in the rain while trying to spit one's hair out of one's mouth.