Thursday, May 31, 2007

Such Is Life

I watch my doggie
He's sleeping
His right fore-foot twitches
He's dreaming
"Hmmph, hmmph," he barks in his sleep
His breathing increases
His eyelids flutter
All four feet are moving, chasing
His heart is racing
"Hmmph, hmph, hmf"
He's panting
There's a jack-rabbit running ahead of him
My doggie races through the tall grass of his dreams
Unimpeded
He sees the ears of the rabbit zig-zagging ahead through his sleep
He's in pursuit
He's young again
Forward he goes
Chasing... running
"Hmmph!"
He is so happy
Blessed Oblivion!
He sinks further into sleep
His feet stop moving
His breathing slows
Is he still dreaming?
Did he catch him?
Is he still carefree and wild?
He snorts and looks up at me
Something woke him
He struggles to his feet
My baby!
How I wish you could be in that world forever!
Young again
And free
Such is growing old
Such is life

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth, that's beautiful. I'm impressed and moved.

Ruth said...

Thank you. I usually don't have any inclination at all to write poetry, it just was a sudden thing.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I know the feeling you are describing all too well. It is likely our little patch under the mesquite tree will soon have another memorial.