Monday, September 25, 2006

And so, it continues...

And so, today is Monday, and we begin another week: Another set of crises; another bunch of clients calling me about the same things they called me about last week, and the week before that, and the week before that; another day of arguing with the same judges, attorneys, clients, and co-workers who never seem to listen to what I am saying, but argue with me emphatically nonetheless (or completely ignore me); another day of listening to so many other people's problems with no way to solve them. This would be so much easier if there were actually something I could do to fix everyone's life for them. There isn't.

I know that I help. It's what I do: I help. A little. And listen. A lot. There are just so many things that I cannot help with. So many things that I cannot fix. I want to help and fix everything, but it is not possible.

But, I will continue to help, a little, and listen, a lot. And sometimes, it is worth it all. I've had people send me letters or drawings (some of my clients draw really well), and I even had one guy write me a poem. (Not a sappy love poem, a really sincere one.) Sometimes they just say thank you. And then it is all worth it. I changed someone's life. I helped. It doesn't even necessarily happen after I win a trial or something major in their case. It's unexpected.

So, I continue in hope and faith that I haven't helped all I can or fixed all I can, yet. There is more. There is much more that I can do to help.

1 comment:

Sircellan said...

Yes, this is why I worked at the Department of Education. As stressfull as it was to be eight months behind in paperwork and have people swear at you on the phone, by email, by letter and to your face, there was always that person who made your day that much brighter by their thanks. It seemed to more than negate all the other bad apples.