Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Perfect Puppy

It never ceases to amaze me how lucky I was to have picked such a perfect puppy. I must admit, I was frightened the first few weeks that I would not be able to handle such a bundle of energy. I actually picked her because she seemed so calm in relation to the other puppies who were whining and barking and jumping on the fence at the pound. She just sat quietly in the back of the group with her head cocked to one side. Now I know that this is her response to anything she's unsure of. Any strange sound or smell or anything she can't immediately determine whether to be frightened of she responds to by sitting. Her natural inclination generally is to play with anything or anyone available. She loves to fetch and any kind of tug game. She usually lets me win at tug. I can tell when she's not pulling as hard as she can, because she's quite strong and I wouldn't stand a chance! I think she lets me win partly because she is always mindful that I am the top dog, and partly because if I win I throw the thing for her to chase. We've never had a battle of wills, and she has never questioned that I am in charge. And, if I am not available for a game, she's quite content with chewing toys or shaking them or simply running laps around the house. She loves big floppy toys to shake. I've figured out why she de-stuffs all her stuffed toys. She doesn't eat the fluff, it's just easier to make the thing flop satisfactorily without stuffing.

She definitely has Aussie characteristics. I've even seen her doing the "Aussie stare" and creeping up on her toys at a crouch. She guards her "pack" against outsiders as well. She's usually very quiet, but she has two barks she does. One is a warning growl-bark to "intruders" (usually either her own reflection or Adagio coming in the dog-door while we are together in the other room). The other is a kind of barking howl. It's an alert to me that something is occurring. Usually, it's someone at the door or the neighborhood dogs are barking for some reason.

She's also much more into cuddling than Bo ever was. She follows me around the house and loves to curl up on the couch with me. And once the required face-licking is concluded, she'll usually fall asleep there. She really is the sweetest little dog. She definitely needs a buddy, though. She'll be more comfortable with a slightly bigger "pack" (or flock?) to look after. She'd also like to have someone to cuddle and play with when I'm busy but she wants to stay inside with me instead of going outside to find Adagio. But I do wonder if I'm going to be able to find a beastie as perfect as Betsy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee - and the family wonders why I was never content with just one...!! Wouldn't call them potato chips, but each canine personality is so delightfully different, and studying the interaction offers hours of enjoyment!

Ruth said...

I always thought more than one would be best. With Bo, it really couldn't happen because he was so poorly socialized as a puppy, and I was never sure how he'd get along with a buddy. A puppy would have probably been fine, but I'm not sure what would have happened once the puppy grew up. Plus, then, I was moving all the time, and had neither the finances nor time to deal with a puppy. By the time I was settled to the point it would work for me, it really wouldn't have been good for him! I think a two-some will be good now. Of course, I'm not discounting the possibility that 6 or 7 years down the road I'll have to move as umpteen dogs will have taken over the house! You can then feel free to laugh at me.

Anonymous said...

Somehow, I suspect that I will be the last to laugh AT you; with you, perhaps....