Monday, February 04, 2008

Snow Day, Take Forty-Four

Well, not really forty-four, but that's what it seems like. You know, I never thought I'd get tired of having spontaneous days off work. But even I have to admit, this is getting old. You get all in gear to go to work in the morning, have planned the courts you need to be at, and the office work you're going to do, and suddenly you can't. Unless, that is, you feel like playing bumper cars with people who have no clue how to operate a vehicle in the snow. And then, you spend the rest of the week trying to catch up!

I compensated this morning by joining a "sock-of-the-month" club. Well, actually the sock of the every-other-month club, since I know I can't knit a pair every month! We'll see how it goes. (You can cancel any time.)

I believe I have now given up on trying to guess Betsy's ancestry. I even watched the Eukenuba National Championship dog show to try to figure it out. (And also because I like to watch dog shows.) She's still got mosly the coloring of a Rottweiler (her head's turning black again, like it started out), but she's much fluffier than either a Rott or German Shepherd. Her outer hair's coarse like a Rott, but a little curly, and she's got a double coat. So, she's pretty much her very own breed. I did figure out one thing from the dog show: The next door dog, Adagio, is almost certainly a Flat-Coated Retriever. Betsy's much more of a cold-weather dog than I would have thought. Her latest thing is flopping down in the snow, and then eating all the snow in reach, and then picking a new spot to lie down.

5 comments:

mozartmovement said...

Whatever Betsy is, she's getting prettier and prettier. Loved the pic from yesterday!

Anonymous said...

OK, enquiring minds want to know: is it a pair-of-socks-of-the-month club, or is it a singe-sock-of-the-month (i.e. pair-of-socks-every-two-months) club? (grin)

Is your snow going to stick around and melt into your reservoirs, or will it all have rolled down the Colorado by the time you need it?

You and L. have left me way behind on dog breeds. But I still think she's a sweetheart.

Ruth said...

To enquiring minds: How the "sock of the month club" works is they mail you a different sock yarn and pattern each month. (Or in my case every other month, since I know I can't finish a pair every month unless I did nothing else, and they have a bi-monthly option.)There's really no requirement when/if you actually knit them, so I suppose you could just stockpile the yarn and the patterns and not knit any socks for a year. (I don't think I'll do that.) I now know how to kint both socks of a pair at once, so it's not going to be a single sock a month situation.

And our snow is frozen right now, so I have no idea when or where it might melt.

Sircellan said...

I hope the snow has now left you alone. We don't get much snow at all here, at least we haven't in the past 8 years.

My dad retired and they bought a house and moved in January back to Pennsylvania to help look after my grandparents (who are still fine, but aren't getting any younger). My mother was complaining about the lack of sun, and I pointed out that they CHOSE to move back. Silly parents.

Jeanine said...

My turn for snow days! Woo-hoo, two in a row! The first was utterly unproductive until about five in the evening (sleeeeeep...), but I've made up for it today. How good it feels!