Monday, April 16, 2007

Procrastinators of the World, Unite!

Ok, so I've always been something of a procrastinator. I studied for exams the night before, I wrote papers the night before. It took me until two weeks before the bar exam to start studying for it! I've tried to be better about this. I try to prep my trials earlier and pay my taxes before April 15. Nevertheless, I still am reviewing my jury panels the day before trials, and I just now finished filing my taxes. A whole day early! Of course, that could have something to do with the fact that I thought tonight was the deadline, rather than tomorrow...

Maybe this is just the way I'm wired. When cramming for a trial, I come up with some of my best stuff at 10 or 11 the night before. On the rare occasions when I actually start writing a docketing statement (like a statement of issues for the Appeals Court) prior to the day before it is due, I can't get myself to focus on it. I find myself staring into space or not having a clue how to begin. Maybe I was just built to do everything at the last possible moment. (Although I wouldn't recommend it for paying one's power bill. It tends to result in a dark house and extra fees.) And anyway, what's so wrong with procrastination? As long as the thing gets done eventually...

3 comments:

Jana Swartwood said...

You and me both! I just sat down to do my taxes...and as you can see from this comment, I'm currently surfing blogs. Sometimes my best work comes at the end. I'm like you. It's hard to focus without that pressure.

Of course, then I get to this point in the year, where my life is a chaotic nightmare, and there's so much pressure I think I might implode. Or explode. Hard to say which, really.

Bravo on getting your taxes done (period)! I hope to do the same (sometime tonight). :)

Sircellan said...

Yikes. I thought *I* was the one who procrastinated the best. I seem to recall you doing your papers so they actually got done in time.. (like the night before) where I usually stayed up till the class actually happened getting them done. In fact, as I type, I'm supposed to be doing an essay for my international development course which is due Friday (before midnight), but I'm rereading a book I like and I can't seem to get focused on the course material.

Ruth said...

My papers did get done on time, usually, but often in the nick of time! I got worse at being timely once I got a job. (We weren't roommates anymore when I did my Senior Thesis the two nights before it was due...)